College kids are gearing up for going back to school! Many of them enjoy showing their collegiate team spirit by wearing apparel featuring their school’s colors, logo, and insignia — and they don’t necessarily limit themselves to what’s available in on-campus or other brick-and-mortar shops. That means they check eBay, and that’s good news for sellers. Because college-branded items resell extremely well!
So keep a sharp eye out for:
- School colors on anything and everything
- Mascot items
- Unique styles
- Vintage designs
- Sports equipment, apparel, memorabilia and collectibles (bobbleheads, game ball replicas, etc.)
- Fraternity and sorority items
- Other items of apparel, such as…
- Varsity jackets
- Windbreakers, anoraks, and vests
- Sweatshirts and sweatpants
- Athleisure clothes
- Polo and rugby shirts
- Raingear (ponchos, umbrellas)
- Accessories and gadgets, including…
- Scarves and beanie hats
- Neckties (some old school ties are worth big bucks!)
- Baseball caps
- Jewelry – for all genders
- Stationery – so retro, it’s hip again!
- Postcards – especially vintage
- Posters – again, think vintage
- Coffee table books
- Calendars (even for years past)
- Picture frames and mirror
- Beverage containers (tumblers, beer steins, shot glasses, water bottles, travel mugs, coffee mugs, etc.)
- Bottle openers
- Ashtrays (great for holding coins, jewelry, etc.)
- Bric-a-brac (knicknacks) – figurines, etc.
- Christmas ornaments and other seasonal items
- Cellphone covers
- Device skins
- Throw pillows
- Stadium blankets, seats, and cushions
- Insulated cooler and lunch bags
- Fold-up director’s and/or camp chairs and stools
- Children’s toys and apparel, including baby clothes and bibs
- Teddy bears and other plush critters (e.g., mascots)
The possibilities are endless. Jewelry in particular offers a literal wealth of in-demand items suitable for both women and men. Look for vintage as well as contemporary pieces, including fraternity- and sorority-related items.
College Gear For Her:
- Necklaces and pendants
- Charm bracelets and charms
- Pins and brooches
College Gear For Him:
- Lapel pins
- Tie tacks and tie clips
- Cuff Links
Don’t forget handmade items, which can be very appealing and may even be one of a kind or made in a limited edition. In addition to jewelry, be on the lookout for door wreaths and assorted decorations.
College Gear Keywords
Keywords should be top of mind while listing anything on eBay, but they’re super important when you start listing your collegiate inventory. That’s because of all the different styles used by various colleges and universities when producing branded gear. In addition to the standalone name of the college or university, such as Harvard or Yale, crucial keywords include:
- University and/or U
- State (spelled out and/or classic initials)
- Colors (spelled out)
College Gear Sold On eBay
Some items will sell faster than others, of course, and some items will sell for more than others. So do your homework! Review recent Completed and Sold listings on eBay via Advanced Search. In addition, check out Sold items at WorthPoint.com, where you can view sold items that date further back — up to 10 years.
Don’t forget the Collegiate
Collegiate merchandise (as well as items from virtually any other category you can think of) can be found on WorthPoint when you search by keywords such as “college shorts” (without quotation marks). That particular search yields 163,676 results.
As you may have noticed by now, there is a vast array of college-branded and college team merchandise floating around at thrift stores, garage and estate sales, store closeouts, on eBay, and elsewhere!
What about holiday and other seasonal items, including those related to homecoming and graduation?
I always say, “On eBay, EVERY day is a holiday!” That’s because holiday and other seasonal items sell well year round. College sports gear and other collegiate items are no exception.
However, you can expect to see an increase in sales at enrollment time each semester, as well as about the time that letters of acceptance are being mailed to prospective students.
Excited freshmen in particular are on a mission to acquire an assortment of gear branded with the name and/or logo and/or insignia of their future alma mater. Furthermore, proud parents, other family members, and friends are likewise eager to buy gifts for their special college student(s). And don’t forget nostalgic alumni, no matter how long ago they may have graduated.
When it comes to finding great deals for buyers and sellers alike, eBay is definitely the place to go. So think collegiate during this Back to School selling season — as well as all year long — and show your eBay team spirit by ferreting out college gear you can flip for a profit!
11,812 total views, 65 views today