The influence of social media continues to grow and eBay sellers can learn from the social data. According to the recent Oberlo statistics:
- Social data is used daily by over 3 billion people, which is 42% of the world’s population.
- All generations are active social media users. Reportedly, 90% of millennials, 77.5% Gen X, and 48.2% of baby boomers use social media daily.
- On average, social media users spend 2.2 hours daily on social networks and messaging.
As you can imagine, so many people spending so much time on social media results in terabytes of social data, used every day.
What is Social Data?
In layman’s terms, social data is publicly shared information that includes biographical data, language, location, feedback, links, etc.
This data brings a certain value to marketers. When used correctly, social data can be used to launch a successful marketing campaign, as it provides important details about the target audience, location, preferences, all based on the information they share.
Although social data comes in immense volumes, it still has limitations. While some users actively share information, others are reluctant to do it.
Nevertheless, these limitations rarely become an obstacle, and social data is still a very valuable resource of information, useful for creating and running marketing campaigns.
What’s in the social data for eBay Sellers?
Ebay encourages its users to employ social media to market their products and attract more buyers. eBay apps center has several Facebook and Twitter widgets that you can use to get the most out of social media.
However, with social data, you can promote your eBay products more effectively. With social data, working with Facebook and Twitter work will give you a clearer understanding of their key audiences and best performing content.
Now, let’s take a look at how you can apply social data to launch a marketing campaign to successfully promote your eBay shop.
1) Determining the right social platform
Determining the right social media platform is crucial for the success of your marketing campaign. As general social data shows, not all platforms will be perfect for your eBay business:
- Gender distribution of Twitter users shows that this platform is popular among 69% of males and 31% of females.
- When it comes to Facebook, the picture is different. Reportedly, this platform is more popular among females rather than males, with 55.6% and 44.% respectively
Age distribution of social media users is also important to take into account when choosing the primary platform for your marketing campaign. Twitter, reportedly, is more tailored towards 25-34 and 55-64 year-olds:
The Facebook’s age distribution stats look a little bit different:
Depending on what your target audience is, this social data can help you determine the right platform to market your eBay business by simply comparing your buyer personas with the data above.
Now, let’s dive into how social data can help you understand your target audience and their needs better.
2) Studying your ebay audience
Facebook requires you to launch business pages to connect your eBay business for marketing purposes. By doing this, you get an option to display your items on an additional platform:
Facebook’s page analytics allows you to receive a lot of valuable social data to study your audience and adjust your marketing campaign according to their needs. Here’s what you can mine from it:
- Demographic data, which includes age, gender, location, and language. You can use it to determine the target audience for your next marketing campaign:
- Post engagement – This allows you to figure out, which content performs best and when your audience is the most active (to optimize posting time):
- Post reach – includes people who’ve seen your post in their feed, due to organic search or hashtags:
Facebook updates this social data daily. You can also get a monthly overview to have a full idea of who your Facebook audience is, what content they like and when they are the most active.
This data is crucial to the success of your marketing campaign.
Study your target audience, Twitter provides you with more information, with the abundance of social data that describes:
- Demographic information
- Top interests
- Top device category (to adjust your content for desktop or mobile users)
A Facebook business page is a good idea to list your products.
Twitter is great for quick notifications and updates. Social data, provided by your followers gives you a bigger picture of what your marketing campaign will look like in terms of content.
3) Launch an ebay hashtag campaign
Use social media to promote your eBay business. The goal is is to make your business more visible.
The quickest way to do it is to launch a hashtag campaign to increase visibility.
“Hashtags provide social data in the form of clicks and shares, which displays in a percentage”, says Martin Fausey, a marketing specialist at the international real estate company Flatfy.
Using the right hashtags helped them grow from a startup to an internationally-recognized company.
The rule is simple: the higher the performance of a hashtag, the higher are the chances that your eBay business will get noticed.
View the performance of #ebay, for instance:
Hashtags can be relevant for your business. It will increase the visibility of your eBay business, contributing to the success of your marketing campaign.
There’s no doubt that social media marketing is a powerful way to promote your eBay business. You can make a lot of mistakes if you don’t get a closer look at the social data in provides for you.
Hopefully, the tips we shared above will be helpful to launch and run a successful marketing campaign that will make your eBay business recognizable.